Is Your Soil Alive?
Observing your soil is one of the most ancient ways to grasp how ALIVE your soil is. Signs of healthy soil that is ALIVE…
- icrocritters are your soil and plant’s best friends. Glomalin is one of the compounds responsible for that earthy smell of fertile soils. Mulching and adding compost is an amazing way to keep these tiny powerhouses abundant! All OPM products contain Beneficial Microorganisms. What an amazing way to jumpstart this process and bring your soil to life!
- An Abundance of Earthworms Thriving! There are more than 6,000 species and they have been the silent workers of the earth for 600 million years. Described as
- Abundant Production! Healthy soil produces more abundant yields and even tastier, brighter flowers, fruits and veggies. Low production may be a huge sign that your soil is devoid of essential nutrients that your plants need to thrive. Starving soil equals starving plants!
- Signs of Beneficial Insects On Your Soil Surface! Keep an eye out for our 6 and 8 legged friends when working in your garden. Look for spiders, centipedes, pill bugs, earwigs, ground beetles and more. These friendly bugs keep notso wanted insect populations under control and some even eat decaying organic matter under your plants. Not all bugs are a bad sign! Get to know your bugs! We are huge fans of beneficial insects and those that work hard on the soil surface!
- Pretty Roots! Pull up a plant or two and even a seedling, heck, weeding is a great time to study roots. Are they white and firm? Mushy and brown? Stunted? Long and vibrant? White roots with fine strands are healthy, a great sign that your soil is draining well and moving nutrients around efficiently. Brown, mushy roots are a sign of drainage issues, which could mean that your soil is compacted and void of all of the essentials that a happy healthy plant need to grow it’s best. Short, stunted roots can mean disease or root-eating pests. It happens, we have been there too, but healthy soil ensures that these moments are the rarity. When we balance our soil, we balance the good, the bad and the ugly! Just sayin’, the more beneficials, the more roots, the more drainage, the more nutrients, and the less grubs, bad fungi and bacteria and disease!
Soil is not just 'Dirt' as we have heard for years. I remember a professor telling us that "Dirt is what you find on the floors in your home! Soil is what brings us life!" Dead soil struggles to support life! Living soil creates a balance of all living and non-living components. With a lil bit of help, your soil can be ALIVE too!
With a close look and a bit of insight into what lies beneath the surface, you can learn a lot about the health of your soil and how it directly impacts your plants!